A bus ride to and from school is provided if the home address is more than:
- One and a half miles for high school and middle school students.
- One mile for elementary students.
State regulation requires that no one except school personnel and school children regularly assigned to a school transportation vehicle for a particular route and schedule may ride a school bus, unless she/he has received prior authorization from the appropriate school administrator and/or the Transportation Department. The Transportation Department will grant authorization to:
- Any parent, provided space is available.
- Any student going home with a friend, provided the student presents a note signed by a parent to an administrator at their school, who will then approve it and the note will be given to the busdriver, and provided space is available.
Any optionally enrolled student, who has submitted the "Space Available" form to the Transportation Department and received approval. And the student does not present a discipline problem. (The "Space Available" form can be accessed by clicking on the link provided on this website or at any LPS school and from the Transportation Service Center)
- Elementary students who use day care centers or sitters before and after school if an established stop is within the attendance boundary of the home school, and is more than one mile from the school.
Permission to Ride a Different Bus
If your child will ride home with a friend or on a different bus, please send a note granting your permission so that she/he can give it to an administrator at their school, who will approve the note which will then be given to the bus driver. This helps us discourage students from riding a bus after school to a destination that you have not approved.