History of Littleton Academy

 

Establishment of Littleton Academy

On June 3, 1993 Governor Romer signed legislation known as the Charter School Act. It was designed to enable parents, teachers, and community members to “take responsible risks and create new, innovative, and more flexible ways of educating all children within the public school system” which resulted in “expanded choices” for parents and pupils. It was under this school law that the Initiating Committee organized Littleton Academy. 

A detailed and specific application was submitted and approved by the Littleton Public School Board on May 9, 1996. A Charter School Contract was then negotiated between the Governing Board of the School and the Littleton Public District Board of Education. Over the summer, an office building at 1200 W. Mineral Avenue was leased and converted from a vacant insurance claim office to classrooms. 

On September 3, 1996, Littleton Academy Charter School opened its doors. That was the beginning of Littleton’s first charter school.

Littleton Academy will be celebrating 25 years of operation during the 2021-2022 school year!