5th to 6th Grade Powell Transition Information for Students and their Parents:
Welcome to Powell Middle School! Please read the information below carefully and please take part in all activities to help you and your student learn more about Powell Middle School. We are excited to have your student attend Powell Middle School next year!
Music Instrument Screening: for students to try out instruments to find out which instrument they would like to play.
- Wednesday, April 5th, 6-7:30 pm
- If your student cannot attend the Instrument Screening night, your student can still sign up for either Band or Strings. The teacher will help students decide what instrument works well for students during the first couple of days of school in August.
- For questions contact Mrs. Bailey at: mbailey[at]lps.k12.co[dot]us or Ms. Jenkins at: mjenkins[at]lps.k12.co[dot]us.
Counselors Visit the Feeder Elementary Schools: to present registration information and send students home with a registration card to be signed by parents. Here are the dates:
- Monday, March 20th, HIGHLAND at 1:15
- Tuesday, March 21st, HOPKINS at 9:15 and TWAIN at 1:15
- Wednesday, March 22nd, FRANKLIN at 9:15 and RUNYON at 1:15
- Thursday, March 23rd, LENSKI at 9:15 and SANDBURG at 1:15
Incoming 6th Grade Parent Orientation: Thursday, April 6th, 2017
- Optional tour of the building, 6:00-6:30pm
- Presentation in the cafeteria, 6:30-7:30pm. Parents, select link to view the Power Point Presentation.
- If your student is open or optionally enrolled and/or new to the district, please bring your student to this Orientation
- At the presentation, you and your student will be able to complete the Registration Card as you learn about the classes offered at Powell.
- If your student is not open or optionally enrolled, your student will have received the registration card when the counselors visit the feeder elementary school. Their attendance is not necessary.
Incoming 6th Grade Student Visit Dates: for a tour of the Powell building and to meet with 8th Grade Pride Leaders to learn about Powell and ask questions.
- TWAIN visits on Tuesday, April 18th, 9:30-11
- LENSKI and HOPKINS visit on Thursday, April 20th, 9:30-11
- FRANKLIN and SANDBURG visit on Tuesday, April 25th, 9:30-11
- HIGHLAND and RUNYON visit on Thursday, April 27th, 9:30-11
- If your student does not attend one of the schools listed above, please pick one of the above dates for your student to attend. No need to RSVP, just show up at the time that works best for you.
Schedule Pick Up - Tuesday, August 15th, 9-12 and 1-3. Studentswill pick up their schedule, planner and take school pictures at this time.
Pride Day - Wednesday, August 16th, 9-11 (for 6th graders) and 9-10:30 for NEW 7th and 8th Graders. This is our new student orientation program that pairs 8th grade Pride Leaders with new students. There are many fun games and activities that take place on the football field designed to orient and begin the process of meeting new students. We encourage all new students to attend.
If you have transition questions, please contact one of the sixth grade counselors: Lynn Christensen (Last names beginning with A-L) or Ralph Hancock (Last names beginning with M-Z).
Click link to view Infinite Campus Parent Portal Information for 5th grade families