Littleton Academy was founded based on the need for a traditional education at the elementary and middle school levels within the Littleton Public School District. The following principles characterize a “traditional” school and form the basis for the establishment and continued operation of Littleton Academy.
On June 3, 1993 Governor Romer signed legislation known as the Charter School Act. It was designed to enable parents, teachers, and community members to “take responsible risks and create new, innovative, and more flexible ways of educating all children within the
public school system” which resulted in “expanded choices” for parents and pupils. It was under this school law that the Initiating Committee organized Littleton Academy.
A detailed and specific application was submitted and approved by the Littleton Public School Board on May 9, 1996. A Charter School Contract was then negotiated between the Governing Board of the School and the Littleton Public District Board of Education. Over thesummer, an office building at 1200 W. Mineral Avenue was leased and converted from a vacant insurance claim office to classrooms.
On September 3, 1996, Littleton Academy Charter School opened its doors. That was the beginning of Littleton’s first charter school.