History of Highland

Highland Elementary was built in 1958 on six acres of donated land. It was named for its location close to the high bluffs south of the school. The bluffs were referred to as the Highlands. These bluffs also led to the name Highlands Ranch, the community south of Littleton in Douglas County.

 Highland Elementary School 2015
Highland Elementary School, 2015.  Photo by Amelia Martinez.

Located at 711 E. Euclid Avenue, the architect was Earl C. Morris, and the contractor Brown and Shrepferman. The project cost $425,833. In 1961, an east wing was added to the school for $135,939. A library addition was completed in 1969, and a gymnasium was added in 1979. Portions of the school were remodeled in 1985 and 1986.

Highland Elementary's library and computer/research area were expanded with the 1995 bond project. The windows, playground equipment and the boiler were all replaced. Systems were upgraded, drainage was corrected and air conditioning was added.  The school even received a new walk-in freezer complete with alarms. Improvements since 2000 included carpet and flooring replacements, concrete and asphalt repairs, and air quality upgrades. The playground received new equipment and the security system was upgraded.In 2013 work began on repairing ventilation systems, roofing, flooring, electrical systems and fire alarm systems.

Highland Elementary School is currently being transformed into the future home of the Littleton Public Schools' Early Childhood Center. Students will be absorbed into Franklin Elementary School beginning in 2022.

The mascot for Highland Elementary School is the beaver and the school colors are yellow and blue.