Littleton Public Schools Transportation is proud to be part of the largest and safest form of mass transit in the United States. Over half of the 50 million students who attend school in the United States get to and from school in one of almost half a million yellow school buses. According to the American School Bus Council, "Students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely if they take the school bus instead of traveling by car."
The district operates over 84 buses to transport approximately 7,500 students and traveling more than 4,000 miles each day. District buses transport students to and from school, extra-curricular events, and sporting events, including after hours and on weekends.
Rules of the Road for the Planning and Operating of LPS Transportation:
- Providing this service to the community and keeping the department's mission statement as the primary goal.
- Transportation is provided to students who live approximately:
- One (1) mile from their assigned elementary school.
- One and a half (1.5) miles from their assigned middle or high school.
- Please note: students who live within the distances above are considered within the walk boundary of their assigned school.
- Students will never walk more than the walk boundary distance to a bus stop.
- Buses will be maintained in excellent condition per all state and federal guidelines.
- The training bus drivers and paraprofessionals receive will always exceed Colorado Department of Education's minimum standards.
Travel time to and from school can vary based on several factors, including the size of the school boundary, traffic backups, construction, and weather. This means travel time on the bus will vary for each school and from day to day. Parents can help keep buses running on time by having students at their bus stop five minutes prior to the stop time. Please remember, a traffic tie up miles from your assigned school can still have an effect on buses throughout the district.
To find your student's bus information, log in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal and click on the "Transportation" tab. If you would like to know which schools are in your residence area, please use our School Locator/Boundary Maps.
School of Choice Enrollment - Space Available Application Process. There are a limited number of seats available on existing buses/routes for open-enrolled students. There is NO GUARANTEE that an open-enrolled student will be approved for a seat assignment. LPS Transportation use a "Space Available" application process to fill those existing open seats on a first-come, first-served basis. Should assigned ridership increase during the school year, "space available" rider parents will be given notice of the change and will be given five school days to find an alternative way to get to school.
"Space Available" applications can be submitted for the 2018–2019 school year beginning on July 1, 2018. "Space available" seat assignments may be made prior to the start of the school year, but typically, most assignments will happen after the actual ridership counts have been collected over the first three to four weeks of school. To apply for one of the open seats, you must complete a "Space Available" application form (submit online or print it and return it to Transportation Services). Applications will be processed on a first-received basis. The application will also be available in hard copy at each LPS school and at the Transportation Services Center.