A PDF copy of the Weekly News can be downloaded here.
K–12 Legislative Narrative
January 19–January 23, 2015
The state legislature was again quiet this week in terms of K–12 education decisions. The Joint Budget Committee (JBC) worked through a multitude of supplemental funding decisions impacting fiscal year 2014–2015 appropriations. The JBC will begin deliberating fiscal year 2015–2016 allocations in February. Additionally, the House and Senate Education committees held informational meetings for new members, which included presentations from the State Land Board and the Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES).
Both the Senate and House Education committees have long meeting calendars in the coming week. The House Education committee will take on the early childhood funding debates and are slated to vote on measures that provide funding for the Colorado Preschool Program and statewide full-day kindergarten slots. Additionally, the HB14-1202 Standards and Assessments Task Force will present their final recommendations to the Joint Education Committee on Wednesday, January 28.
JBC Decision – Adjusting the K–12 state funding for fiscal year 2014–2015
On Thursday, January 28, the JBC voted to adjust fiscal year 2014–2015 total program funding for K–12 education based on actual funded pupil counts and the actual at-risk student counts. Total program funding will be reduced by $14,025,921 due to lower-than-anticipated actual pupil counts. The legislature will retain the total program funding at the originally appropriated level, and as a result of the adjustment, the negative factor will be reduced by $14,025,921.
Additional district-specific information on the fiscal year 2014–2015 supplemental request can be found at: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdefinance/schoolfinancefundingfy2014-15
HB15-1058 General Fund Surplus Transfers for Education (Rep. John Becker)
On Wednesday, January 21, the House Finance Committee voted 6-5 to postpone indefinitely HB15-1058. The bill would have put 70 percent of the state general fund revenues that come in above actual allocations towards K–12 education and the other 30 percent towards a higher education fund. These excess general fund revenue transfers would have occurred until the negative factor was completely restored. House Finance Committee Democrats voted to kill the measure, stating the proposal was too early in the session to determine these school finance issues and committee Republicans voted in favor of the bill.
Upcoming Legislative Hearing Schedule
January 26–30, 2015
- Monday, January 26
o House Education, 1:30 p.m., Old Supreme Court Chambers
§ HB15-1020 (Rep. Wilson) - Funding for Full-Day Kindergarten
§ HB15-1024 (Rep. Pettersen) - Increasing Number of CO Preschool
§ HB15-1001 (Reps. Pettersen and Garnett) - Early Childhood Educator
§ HB15-1053 (Rep. Ransom) - Ages for Compulsory Education
o Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs, 1:30 p.m., SCR353
§ SB15-094 (Sen. Kefalas) - Employment of Community College Faculty
- Tuesday, January 27
o Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs, Upon Adjournment, SCR353
§ SB15-054 (Sen. Donovan) - Free or Reduced-Cost Lunch Five Days All Schools
- Wednesday, January 28
o Joint Meeting of House and Senate Education committees, Upon Adjournment, State Capitol Room 271
§ HB14-1202 Standards and Assessment Task Force: Report and Recommendations
o House Finance, 1:30 p.m, LSB-A
§ HB15-1109 (Rep. DelGrosso) - Additional SB09-228 Transfers To HUTF and Capital Construction
- Thursday, January 29
o House Finance, Upon Adjournment, LSB-A
§ HB15-1079 (Reps. Coram and Danielson) - Teen Pregnancy Dropout Prevention Program Funding
§ HB15-1104 (Rep. Navarro) - Educator Expenses State Income Tax Deduction
o Senate Education, SCR356, 1:30 p.m.
§ SB15-020 (Sen. Newell) - Education to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse and Assault
§ SB15-045 (Sen. Lundberg) - Tax Credits for Nonpublic Education
§ SB15-050 (Sen. Heath) - Awarding CO's Excellent Scholars Program