John Wesley Powell Middle School
8000 S. Corona Way
Centennial, CO 80122
Principal: Mr. Steve Wolf
School Hours: 7:54 a.m. to 2:43 p.m.
PLC Late Start Time is 9:54 a.m.
About Our School
- Enrollment: 876
- Attendance Rate: 95.3%
- Number of Suspensions and Expulsions: 37
- Average Class Size: 26 students per classroom
Sources of Pride
- Cluster classes for 6th grade core academic subjects: language arts, reading, science, math, and social studies.
- Grade level classes for 7th and 8th grade core academic subjects: language arts, math, science, and social studies.
- Exploratory/elective programs: gifted and talents courses, vocal, strings, and instrumental music, woods/metal, computer technology, physical education, health/life skills, foods/sewing, yearbook, electronic publishing, creative writing, guitar, 2-D and 3-D art, Spanish, constitutional law, geography.
- Differentiated learning opportunities for all levels of learners
- Enrichment and acceleration in math, language arts, science
- Standards classes in language arts and math to provide addition intervention and support
- Special education programs for students with a wide range of learning challenges
- Intra-district sports competition for 7th and 8th grades; intramural for 6th grade.
- Track, wrestling, basketball for boys
- Track, basketball, volleyball for girls
- Cocurricular/enrichment activities: Destination ImagiNation, Brain Bowl, Student Council, National Junior Honor Society, MathCounts, Art Club, Spelling Bee, Industrial Club, Spanish Club, Chess Club, Cross Country Club, Write Away Club, February Follies, Science Olympiad, Golf Club, Debate Club, Jazz Band, Friendship Circle, Spirit Club, Puma Prowl (all school run), 8th grade Washington DC trip
- Strong academic focus on critical thinking and literacy skills across the curriculum
- High expectations and standards for behavior, including student and staff training for the Positive Behavior and Interventions Support program
- Highly trained and committed staff
- Focused on building responsible, motivated learners in a caring environment
Powell Middle School Unified Improvement Plan Summary